Blount County Schools has partnered with PlanetHS/K8 to be the exclusive online communications/messaging provider for our district. News, announcements, and notifications released by Central Office and our schools are now communicated through PlanetHS/K8.
Every school within our district maintains their own PlanetHS/K8 page and is responsible for using this portal to distribute information to students, parents, staff and community members. Direct links to school PlanetHS/K8 pages are available here.
*School closings, early dismissals, and other information alerts from the Blount County Schools Central Office will be released first through the PlanetHS/K8 notification system via text or email.
Parent Training Sessions Available
PlanetHS/K8 provide a series of parent training webinars, for parents to join in, watch us walk through the basic steps, and to ask questions about something you wish to know. These last about 15 minutes and can really enhance your PlanetHS/K8 experience and starting Tuesday, November 11, are will be held every Tuesday morning at 9 AM ET and Thursday afternoons at 4:30 PM ET(except Thanksgiving Day). Please join us if you can! If interested - click here: Parent Training Sessions
Download the free mobile app for Andriod and iOS devices.
Individuals interested in receiving text alerts, email notifications and other district/school related news should sign up below. Click here for step-by-step signup instructions.
What is PlanetHS/K8?
PlanetHS/K8 is a student activities focused platform for managing the communication, organization and participation in the activities of students outside of the classroom.
What does PlanetHS/K8 do?
- Communications via email and true SMS text messaging with every message
fully documented and archived.
- Calendars that are personalized for each student and parent with automatic updates direct to smartphone calendars (yes, the calendar you already use will now always be current with every event in the school that is of interest to you).
- Simplified live video streaming of all meaningful events at the school plus media sharing.
- On-line elections for class officers – homecoming court – team captains, plus contests, surveys and polls.
- Discussion groups with school control.
- Community Service Hours Management where students may stay informed of service opportunities and completed hours are documented.
- Mobile app that even allows text messages to be sent while on field trips with full documentation to comply with district requirements.
How is content controlled?
Everything that is viewable on PlanetHS has been approved by a school authorized person with the primary responsibility allocated to teachers and coaches to approve communications, events and media for their clubs, classes and teams so that there is never a bottleneck to have items approved. Advance levels of approval are integrated to meet every school and district's requirements.
How do I follow a school, team or club?
When you create your account on PlanetHS, you will designate your school. Once your account is created, you may navigate to the clubs, classes and teams in your chosen school. Within the information box located in the upper left area of each club, class or team page, there is a "Follow" button. By selecting the "Follow" button, you will choose to be designated as a Member or a Fan. You will then receive all notification sent to your chosen designation (Member or Fan), plus events scheduled for that club/class/team will now appear on your personalized calendar.